jonnygoldstein.com header image 2

Mikey Sklar Gets an RFID Tag Implanted in His Hand

December 29th, 2005 · 18 Comments

Watch the video

My Friend Mikey Sklar recently got a surgeon to implant an RFID chip into his hand. In this interview, Mikey describes the process from research, to purchasing supplies, to the implantation itself. Mikey has been all over the web lately being featured as Maker of the Day for a shirt he made out of dozens of electric fans, and getting Boing Boinged for a talk he will give at Dorkbots about his RFID implant adventure. Mikey is one of my favorite people—a curious, friendly, resourceful guy—just the person to introduce you to the wide world of RFID implantation. This interview is about 11 minutes long and is a must for any people thinking about getting their own RFID implant.

Tags: video

18 responses so far ↓

• missb // Dec 29, 2005 at 3:48 pm

ok–OW!

That’s wild stuff…will he “beep” when he goes through the thing at the airport?

• Michael // Dec 29, 2005 at 4:51 pm

Almost as good as Tetsuo

• adam // Dec 29, 2005 at 5:30 pm

Jonny G you just got b-boinged.
    Readers should all watch this after you watch this RFID video.

• ZuDfunck // Dec 31, 2005 at 5:31 pm

I tried to listen I really did.

I was entranced by the young woman in white.

I didn’t hear a thing!

Can we visit those folks again?

• jonny goldstein // Dec 31, 2005 at 6:04 pm

Zud, the woman in white is Wendy Tremayne. It was her birthday party. She is an amazing artist/activist/teacher. Check her work out here.

• Liz McIntyre // Jan 5, 2006 at 12:18 pm

There are medical downsides to implanted RFID tags that weren’t mentioned in your video. When the FDA approved the VeriChip human RFID implant, it sent a strongly worded letter mentioning electrical hazzards, potential for chip migration, and MRI incompatibility, among others. You can see the letter here: http://www.spychips.com/devices/verichip-fda-report.html

Of course, there are privacy and civil liberties implications that should be explored, too. We discuss these in our book “Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID.” I would recommend that those considering implants read our book and visit our website for another viewpoint.

Thanks for sharing the video. Very thought provoking.

Liz McIntyre
    co-author of “Spychips”

• jonny goldstein // Jan 6, 2006 at 3:55 am

Thanks for the comment, Liz. I’m not planning on getting implanted w/a chip myself, but I did enjoy interviewing Mikey about his experience. Obviously, anyone considering this procedure should do some serious research first, as did Mikey, and my friend Meghan Trainor, who also got chipped.

• Brett // Jan 7, 2006 at 7:41 am

FUCKING SLAVE!!! YOU CAN TAKE YOUR SEAT IN SATANS ASS!

• jonny goldstein // Jan 7, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Brett,

I think you win the pyschopathic deranged comment of the week award. Congrats!

• mongo brain // Jan 7, 2006 at 8:45 pm

Brett, may I ask, how much room is there in Satan’s ass? Do I have to make reservations?

• Craig Barron // Jan 9, 2006 at 10:19 am

Mikey is a brave chap. I am not sure I would like to have a large nail shoved in my hand. love all the ideas of what you can do with the technology. And I am all for it.

Thanks for posting the Vid.

I like Ms Liz McIntyre’s comments (thought she might pop-up with her view of things) still not read her book, but it’s on my list. Her site is well worth the visit, even with its tad paranoid feel.

Is Brett making reference to some kind of contact one has to sign with before being implanted?

• urcho // Jan 18, 2006 at 8:05 pm

i am currently working on a presentation for a class of mine and am in need of some extra information on the pros and cons of RFID implants. if anyone has some good sites in mind (preferably on the cons) please list them for me… it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• Chilam Balam "Mayan from 4D" // Jan 27, 2006 at 4:30 am

Save yor soul,and if you love the world, stop the RFID¡¡¡

• Phantom 777 // Jan 27, 2006 at 4:55 am

save you soul my son, this is a final warnign for the world¡¡

• jonny goldstein // Jan 27, 2006 at 7:35 am

Sigh…Chilam and Phantom…Implanting chips into people may be a bad idea, but I don’t think it’s a sign the world is ending. How many times over the last couple of thousand years have people thought that’s gonna happen? Probably a couple of thousand times. The world is a complex place. Sometimes it’s easier to see things in terms of sacred and evil, but there are a lot of shades of grey. No one made Mikey implant the chip, it was voluntary. He’s just a curious geeky person who likes to learn about stuff. Of course, so probably were prometheus, and Eve, but I think they got bad raps.

• JL // Feb 15, 2006 at 4:49 pm

You could have saved some money by waiting as the government has plans to chip us all (google Tommy Thompson and chip). You might go ahead and shave your head and put your chains on too. Big Brother would be so proud of you and your friends. Yea, it’s the new freedom of track and tracing everyone. Ha, you even beat the animals to it (FDA has recently approved chipping and tracing all animals). Good for you! God help the rest of us.

• jonny goldstein // Feb 15, 2006 at 7:03 pm

Hey JL,

Thanks for your comment. I just thought it was an interesting interview. I’m certainly not advocating everyone getting chipped. I think it’s a personal choice, and certainly a bad idea for anyone who has not thoroughly researched it.

• k // Feb 18, 2006 at 10:33 pm

This is a blasphemy. Do you not know of the further ramifications? Figure it out…then e-mail me to find out what I’m saying!