(click to see larger image)
The place was packed with passionate people, who sent their ideas flying around the room about the unique institution of the American Library.
- The importance of diverse space within libraries (for quiet reading, spirited conversation, teen hanging out, etc.).
- The challenge of working with 100 year old buildings from the Carnegie era when it comes to contemporary usage.
- Librarians as guides and coaches.
- Usability challenges for library websites
- Confidentiality and libraries.
- The library as a uniquely open institution.
- The varying needs in different neighborhoods.
- Defining the comparative advantage of libraries in the age of Amazon and Google.
- Libraries as places where stuff is created.
- The library as an outpost.
- How central are books in the mission of libraries?
- What do upwardly mobile tech geeks want from their libraries? How do we create a library that appeals to all?
Innovation idea: charter libraries.